YouthLead Photo Contest
ABOUT THE YOUTHLEAD PHOTO CONTEST
Showcase your work globally! This photo contest provides you, as a young changemaker, a global platform to show the impact of your changemaking activities. We will award ten prizes to the best photos that demonstrate how your work creates a positive impact in your community.
We are looking for creative and high-quality photos that tell a powerful story of how you are achieving impact in your community, however you define that community—your neighborhood, your district, your school or university, your country….or the planet.
Changemakers aged 18-35 are eligible to submit up to three photos each for consideration. The deadline for submission is Friday, May 31, 2019. Review the instructions below on how to participate, eligibility criteria, and prizes. Good luck—we look forward to seeing how you achieve impact!
The Sponsor of the YouthLead Photo Contest (“Contest”) is YouthPower Learning, a project funded by the US Agency for International Development implemented by Making Cents International and its partners and YouthLead sponsors.
The YouthLead Photo Contest begins on May 2, 2019, and ends on May 31, 2019, at 6 P.M., Eastern Time (the “Entry Period”). Submissions must be made online as no mailed entries (electronic or hard copy) will be accepted.
- 1st Place Winner – a one-time monetary prize of $300, 6 months of mentorship (consultation once a month, one hour each) from a YouthLead mentor, and photo featured on YouthLead.org.
- 2nd Place Winner – a one-time monetary prize $200, 6 months of mentorship (consultation once a month, one hour each) from a YouthLead mentor, and photo featured on YouthLead.org.
- 3rd Place Winner – a one-time monetary prize $100, 6 months of mentorship (consultation once a month, one hour each) from a YouthLead mentor, and photo featured on YouthLead.org.
- 4th-10th Place Winners – photo featured on YouthLead.org and a one-time private consultation (1 hour) on their project with a YouthLead mentor.
- If a winner does not respond within seven (7) days of notification, the Sponsor may, at its discretion, select one of the Runners Up as a Prize Winner.
- The monetary prize will be transferred through a legal bank transfer if feasible, which will be determined between the winner and the YouthLead team.
- The consultation Prize will be coordinated with the YouthLead team over e-mail. Winners may accept a partial prize.
- Photos of Runners Up will be displayed on the YouthLead Platform.
- The Sponsor reserves the right to award fewer, none, or additional prizes.
EACH ENTRY MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
WHO MAY ENTER
The competition is open to all members of the public who are:
- Citizens of low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) as listed here;
- Aged 18-35 during the Entry Period; and
- Members of YouthLead with a member profile that is at least 80% complete. Becoming a member of YouthLead is easy and free. All Entrants must be successfully registered on YouthLead. As registration may take two business days (defined as Monday to Friday) to process, all YouthLead.org registration requests must be submitted at least 4 business days prior to the end of the Entry Period to ensure timely approval for entering the contest. Create your profile in English here and in Spanish here.
Note: YouthLead Sponsor employees, employees of YouthPower Learning’s prime- and subcontractors, and USAID staff are not eligible to enter or win a prize.
Contestants from countries or entities on this list cannot receive cash prizes but may receive the non-cash prize.
Other Submission Requirements:
- All photos submitted must be the original work of the Entrant (that is, taken by the Entrant him/herself), and relate to an activity that the Entrant is directly involved as a changemaker.
- Entries will only be accepted through the YouthLead platform at www.youthlead.org. Entries submitted in any other manner will not be considered. Entries must be submitted using the YouthLead online entry form during the Entry Period.
- Photos must have been taken between April 1, 2016 and the Contest deadline.
- Photos must be high-resolution, high-quality digital photos that are at least 1024 pixels or larger (tall or wide) or around 300 pixels per inch. Please send the highest resolution photo possible in a JPG or JPEG format, and no smaller than 1MB and no larger than 10MB. If you are using Photoshop, please send only level 7 or higher compressed photos. Photos submitted in other formats, or outside this size range, will not be considered.
- Entry into the photo contest is free and does not require any purchase.
- Photos must not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content. Any photos deemed to be containing such content will not be considered, and anyone submitting such photos is subject to removal of their profiles and membership privileges from the YouthLead platform.
- Photos must not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law. Any photos deemed to be containing such content will not be considered, and anyone submitting such photos are subject to removal of their profiles and membership privileges from the YouthLead platform.
- Entrants are required to acknowledge and agree that no animals were harmed or manipulated in the making of any photo submitted.
HOW TO ENTER
Step 1: Register on YouthLead (go to Step 2 if you are already a member!)
You must be a registered YouthLead member to participate in the contest. Register in English here and in Spanish here. Allow for at least two business days for your profile to be accepted by the platform, at which time you may submit your photos for consideration up to the submission deadline. (Note: As registration may take two business days (defined as Monday to Friday) to process, all YouthLead.org registration requests must be submitted at least 4 business days prior to the end of the Entry Period to ensure timely approval for entering the contest).
Step 2: Log into YouthLead
Participating is easy! Go to the “Events” page, and click on “Enter photo contest” to begin your photo contest submission. Entrants may submit up to three entries. You must create a separate photo submission for each entry.
Step 3: Upload your Photo(s)
Upload a photo that highlights your project or activities and exhibits the impact you’ve made as a young changemaker. The impact may be at a local, district, national, global or other level. Note: please do not submit blurry photos, photos with low resolution (pixelated and imprecise images), selfies, or welfies. This does not preclude the submitter appearing in the photo but we ask that you not be the focus of the photo.
Name your JPG or JPEG file as follows: YL_Photographer’s Given Name_Photographer’s Surname_Photo Title
Follow the on-screen instructions and fill all fields thoroughly.
You will need the following information to complete the upload form.
o A title of your photo, month and year when it was taken.
o Location where the photo was taken (country, city/village).
o A description (between 600-1,500 characters) of the photo, explaining how the photo depicts the changemaking impact that you or your project is having. This is an important component of your entry. The text should explain how your activities are tied to the impact. All descriptions must be submitted in English or Spanish. Submissions in other languages will not be accepted.
o Determine the photo’s most relevant sector(s) (e.g., food security, education, governance, food sustainability, health).
Each Entrant may upload up to three photos; a separate entry is required for each.
Step 4: Accept the Terms and Conditions and Hit Submit.
Entries that do not meet the submission criteria will be excluded.
- The YouthLead review committee will select approximately fifty entries for voting on Facebook.
- These top fifty entries will be voted on by the YouthLead community through the YouthLeadGlobal Facebook page via the “like” button. The twenty photos receiving the highest number of Likes will be ranked by the YouthLead Photo Contest Selection Committee.
- The YouthLead Photo Contest Selection Committee will rank the photos, and select the top ten photo contest winners. The Prizes for each winner are outlined under “Prize” below.
- No more than one prize may be awarded per Contestant.
The Judging Panel will evaluate the entries based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
1) Photo Creativity (35%)
2) Photographic Quality (35%)
3) Fit of the Photo with the Description of Changemaking Impact that the photo reflects (30%): The description fits with the photo, and both are a good reflection of the contest theme “Young Changemaker doing impactful work in the community”
In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest “Creativity” score will be the winner. If a tie still remains, the highest “Quality” score will be the winner. Decisions of the Judging Panel are final and are not subject to appeal.
This is a skills-based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of the winners.
THIRD PARTY RELEASES
- If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the Entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the Entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the approval of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- Upon Sponsor’s request, each Entrant must be prepared to provide (within 7 calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s request) confirmation of the release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, and/or from the owner of any material that appears in the photograph entry. All releases must be in the form provided by Sponsor. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification at any time during the Contest and selection of an alternate winner. Similarly, upon Sponsor’s request, each Entrant must be prepared to provide (within 7 calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s request) a signed written license from the owner of any property or copyright owner of any sculpture, artwork or other copyrighted material that appears in the photograph entry, authorizing any Authorized Party to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS AND WINNERS LIST
- The top ten winners will be chosen and notified via e-mail by end of June, 2019.
- Following acceptance of the prize by the ten winners, winners will be announced on the YouthLead website, Facebook and Twitter page.
- Photos will be displayed on a YouthLead Photo Contest page, YouthLeadGlobal Facebook & @YouthLeadGlobal Twitter. Select photos will be used in future YouthLead or YouthPower Learning promotional materials, possibly including YouthLead brochures, flyers, presentations; and e-newsletters.
- Entrants agree that personal data may be processed, shared, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Contest and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. The data may also be used by the Sponsor in order to verify the participant’s identity, postal address, and telephone number or to otherwise verify the participant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest.
This Contest is subject to US federal, state, provincial, territorial, and local laws and regulations. By participating in the Contest, in addition to any other grants which may be granted in any other agreement entered into between Sponsor and any Entrant in and/or winner of the Contest, each Entrant irrevocably grants the Sponsor and their respective successors, assigns and licensees, the right to use such Entrant’s name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, and any other personal characteristics, in any and all media in connection with the Contest, and the advertising and promotion thereof and each Entrant and/or prize winner hereby release the Sponsor from any liability with respect thereto.
By entering a submission, Entrants agree to make their photo available to the public under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC) license. Copyright holders shall retain all rights to the original photo.
The “License Deed” for CC BY-NC is available online at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/, and the full text of CC BY-NC is available online at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode. Instructions for marking your work with CC BY-NC can be found at https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Marking_your_work_with_a_CC_license. The photo credit shall appear as follows: Photo [photo URL linked to photo title] By: [photographer name] is licensed under the CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES/LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
Each Entrant who enters this Contest represents and warrants as follows: (i) except as set forth herein, the entry is the Entrant’s own work; (ii) the entry does not contain any computer virus (as applicable), is otherwise uncorrupted and as of the date of submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (iii) the entry does not and will not violate or infringe upon the intellectual property rights or other rights of any third party; (iv) the entry does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and is not and will not be defamatory or libelous; and (v) the use of the entry as set forth herein will not give rise to any claims for any payment whatsoever. Each Entrant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold the Sponsor harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, covenants, obligations, or agreements of Entrant hereunder.
GENERAL LIABILITY RELEASE/FORCE MAJEURE
Entrants agree that the Sponsor (A) shall not be responsible or liable for, and are hereby released from, any and all costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including, without limitation, death and bodily injury, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in the Contest or any Contest-related activity, or from Entrants’ acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use or misuse of any prize, and (B) have not made any warranty, representation or guarantee express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to any prize, including, without limitation, to such prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose.
Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any damage to an Entrant’s, or any other person’s, computer system which is occasioned by accessing YouthLead.org or otherwise participating in the Contest, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, illegible, misdirected, misprinted, late, lost, damaged, or stolen prize notifications; or for lost, interrupted, inaccessible or unavailable networks, servers, satellites, Internet service providers, websites, or other connections; or for miscommunications, failed, jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected computer, telephone or cable transmissions; or for any technical malfunctions, failures, difficulties or other errors of any kind or nature; or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or YouthLead.org, , to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, and Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. No mechanically reproduced, illegible, incomplete, forged, software-generated or other automated multiple entries will be accepted. Sponsor reserves the right to modify, extend, suspend, or terminate the Contest if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the Contest is technically impaired or corrupted or that fraud or technical problems, failures or malfunctions or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control have destroyed or severely undermined or to any degree impaired the integrity, administration, security, proper play and/or feasibility of the Contest as contemplated herein.
Only the type and quantity of prizes described in these Official Rules will be awarded. These Official Rules cannot be modified or amended in any way except in a written document issued in accordance with law by a duly authorized representative of Sponsor. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision in these Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
In the event an insufficient number of eligible entries are received and/or Sponsor is prevented from awarding prizes or continuing with the Contest as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, natural or man-made epidemic of health of other means, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared) or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, public health crisis, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence), then subject to any governmental approval which may be required, Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, extend or terminate the Contest.
NO OBLIGATION TO USE
The Sponsor shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any entry or to continue the distribution or exploitation thereof, and Sponsor may at any time abandon the use of the entry, for any reason, and Entrants shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
DATES & DEADLINES/ANTICIPATED NUMBER OF ENTRANTS
The Sponsor reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any date(s) or deadline(s) set forth in these Official Rules or otherwise governing the Contest. Sponsor cannot accurately predict the number of Entrants who will participate in the Contest.
All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these official rules or the rights and obligations of Entrants or Sponsor in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and the laws of the District of Columbia.
Entrants agree that personal data, especially name and address may be processed, shared and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Contest and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. The data may also be used by the Sponsor in order to verify the participant’s identity, postal address and telephone number or to otherwise verify the participant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest.
NOTICE TO INDIVIDUALS: REMOVAL FROM MAILING LIST: Any individual (or other duly authorized person) may elect to exclude the name and address of that individual from all mail lists used by Sponsor. To elect to have an individual’s name excluded from all such lists, submit a removal request in writing to: [email protected].