EVENT: Positive Youth Development in Action: Voice from Youth and Practitioners, April 26, 2016
Positive Youth Development in Action: Voice from Youth and Practitioners
With heightened interest in youth programming across sectors, this session will focus on an evidence-based approach to youth development known as positive youth development. This approach has been shown to have positive impact on multiple priority youth issues in the US and other developed countries including academic achievement and motivation, crime and violence prevention, reducing early sexual activity while enhancing community engaging and improving relationships. Although there is less evidence about positive youth development internationally, donors and practitioners are increasingly looking to this approach to provide more holistic supports for youth.
Join the SID-W Youth in Development Workgroup at the Latin American Youth Center, a leading local youth serving organization, to discuss positive youth development and hear from youth and from practitioners in the US and in developing countries. Following the panel remark and small break out groups, participants tour the Center for a closer look at how one organizations provides youth friendly services.
9:00 - 9:45 AM: Welcome and Introduction
· Bonnie Politz, Youth Development Consultant, Creative Associates International, will provide a brief overview of positive youth development.
· Kristin Brady, Director, Youth Department, FHI 360 will speak on youth in development at the Latin American Youth Center.
· Lori Kaplan, President and CEO, Latin American Youth Center will provide perspective from youth participants.
9:45-10:30 AM: Small Group Discussions
· PYD & Civic Engagement: led by Amy Bernath, Senior Program Officer, IREX
· PYD & Workforce Development: led by Maria Andrawis, International Youth Foundation
· PYD & Reproductive Health: led by Nana Dagadu, IRH Georgetown
10:30 AM: Tour of the Latin American Youth Center