African Innovation Award 2015
Are you between the ages of 18 & 40? Do you have a revolutionary idea in Education, Science & Technology, Agricultural/Agribusiness, Healthcare and Energy? How about a solution that can improve the lives of millions of people on the African continent?
This innovative competition will explore cutting-edge ideas, tools, information and technologies that can help to improve the lives of people on our continent. The winners of AIA must possess the best innovation based on marketability, originality, scalability, social impact, scientific/technical aspect and clear business potentials.
Agriculture / Agribusiness
Innovative ICT applications that have demonstrated their potential in addressing key development challenges in African societies (e.g. in communities) or economy, including: software, mobile/wireless technologies and local language software. This area covers developing new solutions that address everyday challenges that help Africans live and work more successfully.
Seven criteria to be considered:
- Originality: The uniqueness of the product and its superiority in comparison with similar or alternative products in the market;
- Marketability: The extent to which the innovation sufficiently addresses the problem it seeks to solve at a price or model that is accessible to the target market;
- Scalability: The extent to which the solution can be easily applied to other similar markets beyond the applicant’s immediate or local environment;
- Social impact: The ability of the innovation to create or effect positive or desirable changes within the target community and beyond;
- Scientific/Technical aspects: For tangible technical/scientific products; this refers to extent to which the technical specifications of the innovation are grounded on established science and sufficiently address any anticipated product risks.
- Gender and disability: How far various innovations went in properly integrating gender and disability perspectives to their projects. This has become a critical part of any futuristic innovation
- Sustainable Development: Every innovation will also be assessed on how environmentally friendly their product or service is and how well the whole project supports the course of sustainable development
- All five winners, in each category will receive $5000 each and other prizes from sponsors.
- 15 finalists will be a part of a 1 year development entrepreneurial module training program.
Apply by November 30, 2015: Application Form